When you hear the word ‘bakkie’ in South Africa, what comes to mind? For many, it is the quintessential vehicle of choice for both work and leisure. Whether you are transporting goods, hitting the off-road trails, or enjoying a day out with family, bakkies are versatile and resilient. But with the variety of options available, such as single cab, double cab, and club cab, how does one choose? As one of the leading names in bakkie rental, Pace Car Rental offers insights into the advantages and disadvantages of club cab bakkies in comparison to single and double cabs.
Pros of Club Cab Bakkies
- Balanced Utility: Club cabs strike a balance between the streamlined single cabs and the roomier double cabs. They offer additional storage or seating space behind the front seats without compromising as much bed length as double cabs.
- Flexibility: The extended cab area in club cabs can be used for extra storage, tools, or occasionally, additional passengers. This can be especially useful for businesses that need that little bit of extra space without having to go for a full double cab.
- Manoeuvrability: Generally speaking, club cab bakkies maintain a shorter wheelbase compared to double cabs. This makes them slightly more agile, especially in tight spaces or city driving.
- Cost-effective: Typically, club cabs are priced between single and double cabs. This makes them an attractive option for those who need more than a single cab but do not want to stretch their budget for a double cab.
Cons of Club Cab Bakkies:
- Limited Seating: While club cabs provide extra space behind the front seats, it is not always comfortable or suitable for adults on longer journeys. The space is often best suited for short trips, children, or storage.
- Reduced Load Capacity: While club cabs provide more space than single cabs in the cabin, they slightly compromise on the load bed’s size. This might be an issue for those who regularly need to transport larger loads.
- Resale Value: Historically, single cabs (due to their workhorse nature) and double cabs (owing to their family-friendly appeal) have maintained better resale values than club cabs in South Africa.
Club Cab vs Single and Double Cab: A Quick Overview:
- Single Cab Bakkies: Perfect for heavy-duty work. They provide the most space in the load bed and are typically the most cost-effective. Pace Car Rental’s 4×2 and 4×4 single cab offerings are perfect for those who prioritize cargo space above all.
- Double Cab Bakkies: Suited for both work and leisure. With seating for up to five adults and a decently sized load bed, double cabs are versatile. The 4×2 and 4×4 options in Pace Car Rental’s fleet cater to those who want a blend of utility and comfort.
The Way Forward
The choice between single, double, or club cab will always depend on the user’s specific needs. While club cab bakkies fill a niche and serve a unique purpose, they might not be right for everyone. If you are unsure, the experts at Pace Car Rental are always here to guide you to the perfect bakkie for your needs.
Whether you are hauling equipment to a job site, embarking on an off-road adventure, or simply spending a day out with the family, we have a bakkie rental option tailored just for you.