A common question people ask is how the rent to buy a car process works in South Africa. This guide will attempt to answer some of the questions you might have about this easy and affordable way of getting a car from SA Motor Lease – the leading name in rent to buy cars in South Africa.
What is rent to buy?
Rent to buy is seen by many as the new way to get easy and affordable access to transport. This option is particularly suited to individuals who have been blacklisted and need a car. Once you submit the relevant application documents, you will get a reply the same day.
When you rent to buy a car from SA Motor Lease, the vehicle is yours after 48 on-time payments. All SA Motor Lease requires from the sale of the vehicle is R100. The rest is yours!
Is rent to buy a good option for me?
Are you blacklisted and need a car? Are you an individual under debt review and need transport? Have you been declined when you have tried to get car finance? Can’t get car finance because your credit score is low? Do you want all the benefits of car ownership without any of the drawbacks? If you have answered yes, then rent to buy is for you.
Is rent to buy the same as owning the vehicle?
There are several reasons why rent to buy is actually better than owning the vehicle. These include:
- The rent to buy period (48 months) is shorter than the finance period (60 to 72 months).
- There is no balloon payment involved when you rent to buy.
- Your monthly rental amount is fixed from the start, and your credit score does not affect how much you pay each month. There is also no extra cost to fix your monthly payment.
- You do not have to carry the risk of depreciation.
- Your monthly payment includes insurance, tracker, and annual licensing.
How do I qualify for rent to buy?
In order to qualify for rent to buy from SA Motor Lease, you need to meet the following criteria:
- You must live and work in Gauteng, Cape Town, or Gqeberha (Port Elizabeth).
- You (and anyone who will be listed as a driver of the vehicle) must have a valid driver’s license.
- Your take-home salary must be R12,000 or more.
When making an application, you need to supply the following documents:
- Copy of your ID.
- Proof of residence.
- Last three-months’ bank statement.
- Last three-months’ pay-slips.
You can do a joint application with your spouse/partner if your take home salary is less than R12,000. As long as both you and your spouse live and work in one of the locations above and your combined salaries are R12,000 or more, you can apply for a rent to buy vehicle.
What cars are available for rent to buy?
SA Motor Lease has a wide range of cars available for rent to buy – such as hatchbacks, sedans, minibuses, SUVs, and trucks. You can view their rent to buy cars here or you can find the branch that is closest to you:
- Rent to buy car deals in Johannesburg
- Rent to buy car deals in Pretoria
- Rent to buy car deals in Cape Town
- Rent to buy car deals in Gqeberha (Port Elizabeth)
Do I need credit to apply for a rent to buy car?
No. Unlike buying a vehicle via the financial route, SA Motor Lease does not look at your credit history. Whether you have been blacklisted, are under debt review, or even if you have a low credit score, you can still apply for a rent to buy car from SA Motor Lease.
How much is insurance if I rent to buy a car?
When you rent to buy with SA Motor Lease, your monthly payment includes more than just the car. You get all of the following:
- The car
- Comprehensive insurance
- Annual licensing
Where is the closest rent to buy branch?
SA Motor Lease has branches in Gauteng, Cape Town, and Gqeberha (Port Elizabeth). Their contact details are:
Johannesburg (head office) branch
40 14th Street, Marlboro, Sandton
Call: 011 640 5000
541B Fehrsen Street, Brooklyn, Pretoria
Call: 012 460 8016
Cape Town branch
Unit 6 Airport Business Park, Cnr. Michigan Street and Borcherd’s Quarry Road, Airport Industria, Cape Town
Call: 021 386 2411
Gqeberha (Port Elizabeth) branch
54 Union Road, Walmer, Gqeberha (Port Elizabeth)
Call: 041 581 4904